Bedford, Mass. - Boston and Maine Budd RDC Number 6211 on Display
The old RDC looks like it is ready to haul commuters to Boston. Looks can be deceiving. The track is only for display and ends a few feet behind the photographer. Bedford is 10.65 miles from West Cambridge where the BM Lexington Branch used to connect the Fitchburg Division Main Line. The former Lexington Branch is now the Minuteman Bikeway. It is probably the most popular bike and hiking trail created from a Boston and Maine abandoned line. The building in the background that looks like it was the station is in fact the former freight house although it began life as a 19th century narrow gauge engine house. The line to Boston was always standard gauge but the connecting line from Bedford to Billerica started out a a narrow gauge line. The RDC displays the old Boston and Maine "Minuteman" logo. The logo is particularly appropriate for this route, from one of the crossings in Lexington, you can see Lexington Battle Green where the first battle of the American Revolution was fought with Lexington Minutemen fighting British Redcoats. The original statue of the Minuteman which inspired the BM herald stands on the Battle Green.In the late 1950's the BM replaced the Minuteman herald with a blue "BM" logo so the Minuteman herald only adorned the RDC's for few years. The preservation group "Friends of Bedford Depot" put the more modern logo on the other end of the RDC. This is an RDC-2, the baggage door is on the other end.