Milton Station PCC Number 3254 Rear View
This is the MBTA's Mattapan High Speed Trolley Line. The station is Milton, Mass. The tag "high speed" was applied when the line opened in 1929. It was faster than running trolleys on city streets. It is not a true high speed line by twenty first century standards. The line once carried the steam trains of the New Haven RR before being converted to transit use. Since conversion to trolley use the line has had 3 owners, the Boston Elevated Company, The Metropolitan Transit Authority, and the current owner, the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority. The cars were built by the Pullman Standard Company in 1945 and 1946 at their most recent major overhaul they were repainted into their original color scheme. PCC stands for Presidents Conference Committee. A conference of street railway company presidents came up with this design as a last ditch attempt to save the remaining privately owned street railways which were being badly hurt by automobile and bus competition. None of the companies survived as private companies, they either went out of business or were taken over by local transit authorities. However the PCC cars operated in many American and Canadian cities and some lasted into the twenty first century. Note the absence of the usual MBTA Circle T logo. These historic cars carry the logo of the old of the old Metropolitan Transit Authority (the MTA). Canon DIGITAL CAMERA . .